In this guitar lesson Joe gives you a few tips that will help you take a single melody line and flesh it out with some chords using the classic melody America the Beautiful.
There are three basic rules turning single note melody lines into chord melodies:
1. Identify melodies in the scale.
2. Place melody notes as the third, root or 5th of the chord, played on top of the chord
3. Learn the chord forms that can do this.
Basics you need to know:
1. The Chomatic Scale
2. How major scales are derived from the chromatic scale
3. The chords of a harmonized major scale and how they are constructed